Sunday, August 21, 2011

I'm a Survivor

Last week someone told me they felt like the first two months of having their first newborn was all about surviving. I realized how right she was! The first two months have flown by, and I wish I could slow down just so I can enjoy my little girl some more before she gets any bigger!

The first month was particularly developing and trying for me: I hear EVERY sound (or so it seems!). Any peep the baby makes, I'm pretty sure I hear it. And then during the middle of the night, the noises I particularly dislike are when the cars are racing on the highway or revving their engines as they climb up the hill.


I've always HAD to get my 8-9 hours of sleep a night. Most nights now it's 5.5-6, but that's interrupted sleep; it has taken some getting used to. I can't wait to sleep through the night again!

Feeding took some getting used to. I wanted to give up several times and just formula feed, especially after I got a little bit of mastitis. I was so glad to finally get the hang of it!

Taking naps when baby naps. I have a hard time doing this because I feel like I need to use that time to actually get things done. But after family was in town I was extra tired and so I've given in to napping with her! I actually found she takes a longer nap if I lay down beside her for a little while. Because she has gotten to a point where she will maybe take a 30-45 minute nap, but when Matt or I nap with her she'll be out for 2 hours!
Mommy-Daughter nap time.

This second month poor Ellie had heat rash (who would've thought Seattle was hot enough) on her face that just seemed to get worse and worse - mostly because we tried to find a remedy ourselves. I think we learned that with a newborn it's probably just better to ask the doctor. I'm not sure if her little face hurt from our different attempts to treat her, but she was always so patient and still her pleasant self. Her face is finally almost completely better, and hopefully from here on out we can have a little bit of normalcy! But, we are still loving life and our beautiful little girl! :)


Still smiling at us despite her little swollen face!

FINALLY! Almost completely better :)

3 comments:

Nick & Dana said...

hahaha i love her pictures! she's soo cute and her cheeks are just so squishable and adorable! we miss her. I'm glad her rash got better, poor baby. I love the picture of you guys sleeping together! she looks so happy to have you there hehe :)

Cavanaughs said...

She is the cutest combination of Matt and you

RitanSands said...

awww...she looks so much like the both of you.