Sunday, May 29, 2011

In Memory Of

Wednesday afternoon I received a text from my brother saying my Grandpa Morris had had a stroke and was in the hospital. I was shocked and saddened. Just a few weeks ago I had written him a letter to see how he was doing. He had even written back expressing interest in coming to the baby's baby blessing in a couple of months.

Today he passed away. It's sad, yet so very happy thanks to the gospel and knowledge we have of life after this and eternal families. He was 90 years old, and for, almost, the last 7 years he has been without his sweet wife. Although it's hard to imagine he's gone and knowing I won't see him anymore, I can only imagine how happy he is today being with my grandma, his daughter and son.

I'm grateful for a grandfather who has lived such an excellent life. He was quiet, but always faithful. I'm thankful for his example. I am so blessed to have had him for a grandfather.
Me with my wonderful grandparents
While my grandpa was in the past few days the hubby and I were discussing our parents and grandparents. (Side note: Our parents have strangely similar family backgrounds. It's kind of weird, but interesting too.) Both of our grandparents on our fathers' side have now passed away. Matt was lucky enough to be able to live with his grandparents for a little while (I get jealous at times wishing I could've done the same). When he shares stories or characteristics of his grandparents it reminds me very much of my grandparents. I'm grateful that we both could have such wonderful examples in our life! I suppose with Memorial Day tomorrow, and the recent events in my family's life, I've just been thinking a lot about family and how blessed we truly are.

Matt with his fabulous grandparents
Aren't grandparents great?

P.S. I like to imagine my Grandma & Grandpa Morris, Grandpa Valdizan (my mom's dad who died before I was born, hence no picture), and Matt's Grandma & Grandpa Walser are all socializing together tonight. It'd be fun to be there. :) Oh, and we both love our living grandparents too and are glad they're still around!

2 comments:

Ben and Raquel said...

My mom told me your grandpa passed away--I'm so sorry! He seemed like a sweet man. Hope your dad especially is doing okay.

Nick & Dana said...

Great post Lu Lu. He will be very missed, but like you said, it's reassuring to know he is happy. Love you!